Interview: 21 Questions w/ Deal The Villain


DEFINITION OF FRESH presents you to the talented New Jersey emcee Deal The Villain. This emcee has a few releases worth checking out such as "Beards x Beats x Kicks EP", "The People's EP" and the upcoming "Madlib & Deal - The Villain Are​.​.​. Jackson Jones"....Now it's time to check out the interview 21 Questions with Deal The Villain.

What's On TV?

I watch anything with entertaining, informational, metaphorical and humorous content. If I can get all in one like The Boondocks and maybe less comedic as in Westworld; I'm there. I stream ton of internet content on philosophy, ideology & history. Then fact check, process & discuss afterwards. After that I'm watching EVERY movie with the aforementioned topics; being a self diagnose cinephile.

What's On The Playlist?

I don't have much on heavy rotation lately. I mainly check in on upcoming artists and new releases. When I'm living hard and preping to create I tend not to listen to a lot of music outside of instrumental albums that help me get my thoughts and flows together. Mostly that involves some Dilla, Dibia$e, Fly Lo, Apollo Brown & Knxwledge. They help me bang out a lot of hooks & concepts.

What's your guilty pleasure?

I have zero remorse about my indulgences. I do like streaming content about how artists & entertainers became who they are, their status, lives & career progress & pitfalls. I guess I call it my visual blueprint of do's and don't's.

What's your pet peeve?

Ignorance, lack of understanding and empathy. I'm not saying having any of those things well heal the world. I feel it could lead to less negative lashing out and nudge the slow progress of change outside dominant power structures. It starts with the masses and eventually rises if and when it's untainted.

Favorite Flick?

TOO many to single out. I love cultural movies like Slumdog Millionaire, Moonlight and Schindler's List; comedys such as The Jerk, Superbad and Blazing Saddles. Star Wars, Star Trek, Intersteller and Blade Runner for sci-fi movies. In drama/suspense I have Se7en, Usual Suspects and The Aviator. PLENTY in action. I don't do horror. I loved Get Out and put that in the suspense/thriller/comedy/ documentary category though.

Favorite Artist or Artists?

As with film I have a tremendous amount that I'm fond of. Minnie Ripperton, Prince, A Tribe Called Quest, D'Angelo, Doom, BBD, Michael McDonald, Queen, Wu-Tang, Amadeus, Thelonious Monk... I can go on til the end of time.

Favorite Group?

Wu-Tang, Queen, De La Soul, New Edition, EPMD, Red Hot Chilli Peppers... again, I can go on infinitely. I don't genuflect to one particular group. 


Favorite Producer?

I'm influenced by an absurd abundance of producers as well. Quincy Jones, The Bomb Squad, Dr. Dre, Rza, Erick Sermon, Kanye, DJ Premier, Just Blaze, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Prince, Rick Rubin, J. Dilla, Q-Tip, Pete Rock, Jimmy Iovine, J Swift, Terrence Martin... the list is never ending.

1st album or CD you ever purchased?

"A Salt With A Deadly Pepa". After growing up it took me a long time to switch to digital after the eternity it took me to switch from tapes; the last album I'll say I remember purchasing on any format was To Pimp A Butterfly. I haven't wanted to outright buy anything since. I have multiple streaming memberships so I don't really feel the need to purchase much anymore, especially since my hard drives have been compromised multiple times.

How old were you when you first spit your rhyme?

I said my first rhyme in about... 5th grade. It was full of curses. Ironically my classmates asked me to spit this curse filled freestyle I guess I was known for on occasion. Along with some amateur dirty jokes I crafted at the time. 

How would you describe your music?

I'd call it nostalgic progressive and/or traditionally relevant. The bridge across it all.

How did you come up with the name Deal The Villian?

No matter what I always feel I'm thst deal and my people by the name of Mark Marvel said I should go with the villain moniker because I'm not afraid to say what I think and feel regardless if i makes me look like the bad guy. Now, you have DTV.

How has your life changed since becoming an artist?

To be honest; not much. I've always been this tall fat guy that people looked at one way or the other. Much didn't change when they seen I had talent and a voice to speak up for myself. I guess that's why I'll never recognize weather people are into what I do or not.

Hidden Talent?

I can wiggle my ears & curl my tongue.


Favorite Meal?

ANYTHING seafood or opulent. I just love a protein rich high end meal.

Dream Date?

I can't kiss and tell. If it has or will happen; those in the know are aware. I don't call it a dream because life has taught me the you can engage and be with anyone with space, opportunity and consent.

Greatest Love?

Ideology. How, who and what we are is the foundation of existence. To be is more than a line from a play.

Favorite Sports Team?

Brooklyn Nets & New York Jets. I'm forever the die hard underdog. I love certain players yet NOTHING is as sweet as YOUR team finally making a come up.

Favorite Websites?

I have dozens online. none of them pay me to promote, thus I will not name them. hit up Leon Brinson YouTube ya'll.

What are your influences?

I'd say life as a whole. Every single experience, feeling, encounter, action and composition is the result of the being I currently am.

Any Last Words?

Thank you and your following first and foremost. I'm the guy whose not THAT guy, but a guy you MIGHT know. Peace and blessings, everyone! 

Latest Project:



This is the extended prelude in "The Beards x Beats x Kicks" series.

Tracklist

1. Legend Blue 01:57
2. Retro (feat. Michael Cardigan) 03:24
3. Sweet Chin Music 01:47
4. Autumn Fables 02:32
5. Crooked Tongues 01:44
6. Feel Yaself 00:51
7. Emerald Preference 02:44
8. Entrada 02:57

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN