Interview: safe + d.o.f. + dunn deal promotions



Paterson, New Jersey rapper and M.O.B.Stars collective member SaFE presents the Jimmy Giambrone-directed music video for “Gotta Be Magic”, the Bravestarr-produced first single from Dead Duck, SaFE’s forthcoming debut solo album featuring production from Arkutec, CJ Beatz and Superstar O. Per the Duckhunter philosophy, SaFE wears a duck mask to assume the role of Davey Duckhunter, as a tribute to all of the dead ducks— abandoned dreams, fruitless projects and failed goals. Dead Duck dropped June 15.

How did you growing up in Paterson affect your style?

Growing up in Paterson affected my style in the sense that while I was coming up, there wasn't really a local act that broke through and got notoriety. There were a few cats that achieved some fame around our way but the biggest thing to ever come out of Paterson was Just Blaze, but he's obviously not a spitter. Anyway, I always dreamed of being that guy that would put Paterson on the map someday, as far as true rhyming goes. So I knew that I had to study the art of writing in verse and really honed in on communicating my ideas in a sharp way. I knew I had to master as many poetic devices that I could as well as my inherent rhyming technique before I could even begin to think about breaking new ground artistically. If I converged in-rhyme, syncopation, alliteration and other sonically appealing elements along with great ideas and sharp, compelling imagery to convey them, I knew would set the bar for all artists in my city. I wanted to be known in my city as the artist who sparked that movement and changed the genre. I thought it would be dope to do it for a city that didn't have so much of a history in hip hop compared to the major areas in the country because we would have that watermark for our town.

What do you think about the state of hiphop today?

I think the state of hip-hop today is the most diverse that it's ever been. More facets of the culture and music as far as locale, styles and content go, are getting their due and equal representation. I really think it's up to the hip-hop consumer to be more conscientious of what they're listening to and take that exactly for what it is and nothing more. Hip-Hop consumers need to be responsible with their opinion because they're worth more than ever before. They shouldn't settle with mediocrity by giving it an overly positive stamp of approval to save face or follow obvious trends. An old head told me that I should never chase a deal, because I am the deal. Meaning, as an artist that has a certain voice that tailors to a certain crowd, I'm who’s being sought after. The same goes for consumers. Without the consumer, the music business ceases to exist. The consumer should be selective about how they're going to spend their currency, whether it's attention, time or actual money. I think when enough key hip-hop consumers realize this power is when the real new golden age will take hold in hip-hop. I think we will then begin to see what really constitutes a classic album or classic-caliber emcee and we won't be simply throwing these words around like we're doing now. 


 

How did you come up with the idea of the duck mask?

I’d be remiss if I didn’t first mention that the mask is a nod to one of my all-time favorite emcees, MF DOOM. However, it was initially intended to deflect attention from my bare and actual self. It had a lot to do with body image and how to draw attention away from not having fresh gear, fluctuating weight, awkwardness on camera and so forth. My brother, O.B., allowed me to test the visual appeal in his video for the song “You & I” that I have a verse on. He saw the chic-potential that it would possibly have and suggested that it would work more as an artistic feat than as a detractor. I then decided to wear the duck mask in the video for a song of mine called "Dreamin With The Stars." The song depicts my internal conflict and the struggle to recognize my own greatness. It's almost as if I'm conscious of all of it but I don't want to admit that it's there. I wore the duck mask in that video because it allows duplicity in my personality to communicate that point more clearly. I thought that it could possibly help someone struggling with their own greatness to realize that it exists in them and to step outside of themselves to claim it. It also fit right in with the title for my album and that idea really made me take a step back and see the Duckhunter movement's potential for success. The duck mask's doesn't end with the music video, so I continue to wear it. While it was originally meant to shield a part of me that I wasn't totally comfortable with, it ended up bringing out a part of me that is now essential to my artistry and brand.

What’s one thing about you that people might not expect?

I am actually a huge Steely Dan fan. I listen to them and I wish that I could do what they do with instruments. They're so technically sound but they're also timeless and their songs resonate with so many people across a wide span of time. They toe the line between rabid musicality and mass appeal that so many people can't do convincingly or at the same time. I try to do lyrically what they do instrumentally. I try to use all of the tools at my disposal, as far as literary elements, and really display my mastery of the craft without losing or shutting out the casual or surface listener in the process.

What’s a life motto you try to live by?

A big life motto I go by is "insincerity has no longevity." I believe that being sincere allows you to be distinct, which can create a lasting impression in everyone you come across. You may not take up a huge spot in people's minds for being you and the impression you leave may not even take hold instantly. However, I believe that when your time comes to shine, people will vividly recall those moments when you were yourself and these are the moments that will be the most intriguing of your legend. You never know who your legend can inspire or what it could inspire people to accomplish. It's so hard to be sincere and distinct in hip-hop at times but I think the music is at a great point where differences are being embraced. We've obviously got such a long way to go. As long as our expression is dictated by the validation we'll receive instead of what our unique ways of expression will contribute to the culture, hip-hop will always be at the mercy of whoever thinks they can exploit it for personal gain. Knowing this truth, I strive to encourage everyone, especially consumers and practitioners of hip hop, to find their nucleus and to stay true to that. Agendas are fleeting; missions are long-standing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN