Interview: al-ghazi + d.o.f. + dunn deal promotions



Cleveland, Ohio rapper Al-Ghazi (formerly known as Controversy) presents the music video for “Dear Jesus”, his new single produced by Keezy. Al-Ghazi has two full-lengths planned for 2015, the Chosen EP and Indian. “I went through high school without any friends so I always had space to think, resulting in my mind being developed at the age of 21 with an outlook on making an impact on this world through the most common ground we have here – music,” says Al-Ghazi. Of the new track he says it “touches base on what mankind has done to himself. Most people feel that money is the most powerful material in this world. It’s not. It’s man.”

What inspired you to become a rapper?

Throughout life I always caught a crazy vibe from music. My dad went from running the stress of Hough in down-the-way Cleveland, Ohio to converting to Islam and becoming a motivational spokesman for the religion. His stories helped me realize that anything is possible. So as I got older music started to surround me. Then I realized it was something that God wanted me to do in order to reach people.

Why did you change your name from Controversy to Al-Ghazi?

I was doing some research one day on names I would name my first son (currently single with no kids. I look up random stuff like that) and I found the name Gazi. I asked my dad what does Gazi mean. He said "Al-Gazi was a warrior. A scholar". It stuck with me. Plus no one had the name but him. Feels like I'm carrying on a legacy. 




What was your inspiration for “Dear Jesus”?

Man is the most powerful material and the most powerful weapon on this earth. You control man, you control the world (the material world). It's like having a whole classroom and the teacher is God. Students start forming their own opinion on how the classes should be ran by being class clowns, know-it-alls, etc. instead of actually listening to the teacher. The rest is in The Book.

What has the response been like?

Very receptive. I feel people know what I'm trying to do. The best thing you can do for someone is tell them the truth. Money, property - none of that stuff matters in the end.

What are your plans for 2015?

I'll be releasing my first album titled Chosen this November. It’ll be a mixture of many different dimensions of rap. The concept is to bring our people (all races, ethnicities and cultures) out of the enslaved mind that society has on them. The only thing that should be holding us back is God. And he would never hold us back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN