Interview: ahmen + d.o.f. + dunn deal promotions



New Jersey-based rapper Ahmen presents “Headphones”, the Hollywood Legend-produced single from Hero Ball, his debut album featuring production from Taliband, Hollywood Legend, Diamond Style, Trill, Scarecrow and Ear 2 Tha Beat. The son of Sri Lankan immigrants, Ahmen was born in Minneapolis and raised in Queens, Alaska, Atlanta, Washington, and India. Raplyzer.com, a site centered around an algorithmic program that gauges the average length of a rap or hip-hop star’s multi-syllable rhymes (the key to the “dopest flows,” Flocabulary says) has ranked Ahmen #3 in the world, just behind the Wu-Tang Clan’s Inspectah Deck in the top slot. Independent A&R company Taxi featured “Headphones” as a song of the month in January 2015. Regarding Hero Ball, Ahmen says “Music is best when the listener hears their life reflected in it. Today, there’s far too much of the status quo, and not enough of someone stepping up to take a shot with the game on the line. That’s what Hero Ball is about: being daring enough to connect with everyday people in ways that are exciting and maybe even hated. That’s what being a leader in the 4th quarter is all about.” Of the “Headphones” single Ahmen says “Far too often, our potential is limited by society’s pressures: generational poverty, homophobia, racism, conflict, and more. We have the ability to achieve the unthinkable and defy odds, and sometimes it requires escape. ‘Headphones’ represents more than a fashion piece – it’s a method of escape so we can fly away to greater heights.” Hero Ball is out now, and Ahmen is working on a new mixtape set to drop in May.




What made you decide to become a rapper?

Hip-hop has always been a constant voice in my life, from helping me through tough times to giving me the power to express my emotions and beliefs. It's ingrained in my life, and it doesn't just show up when I'm on the stage or in the booth. Even in my day job as a nonprofit leader, my swagger and perspective comes from hip-hop in many ways. Several years ago, I came the point where I realized that, if I put in the work, I could become truly great as an MC. That's where I grasped control of my voice and the sound, and now we're on an amazing journey.

What’s the view of the Sri Lankan community towards you being a rapper? Pros and cons?

Sri Lankan men aren't supposed to be rappers! We're supposed to be engineers, doctors, etc. and simply support our families, that's it. I've been a #Troublemaker my entire life - I refused to follow the predefined path. I could've been in the corporate world and made a lot of money, but that's not the way to shake up the system. My parents came to the country with virtually nothing in their pockets, and that's an experience I try to convey through my music. In addition, I realize I need to create opportunity, because through opportunity, you can maximize your potential. The experience of my parents as poor immigrants from Sri Lanka guided me to introduce trouble into the system, and that's why I'm a rapper/Sri Lankan/(insert arbitrary label) unlike any other.

How has Raplyzer’s #3 ranking of you affected your career? Do you think it’s accurate?

It fuels me. As I said, several years ago, I decided to become great. It's taken a lot of work - countless songs and efforts to perfect my craft. Today, I'm a truly unique and groundbreaking MC... but I'm still getting better. In terms of Raplyzer's accuracy, most rappers don't put forth my level of effort and attention to detail. I don't waste words. I don't waste flows. Everything is on purpose...and that's why I've been recognized at a level among some of the greats in hip-hop. 




What’s your favorite non-rap album of all time and why?

Thriller by Michael Jackson. How do you start describing that album? It is innovative, eclectic, mesmerizing, inspiring...perhaps the best word to describe Thriller is perfect. If we're going to talk about mastering a craft, look no further than Michael Jackson. People get caught up with applauding natural abilities far too often. Nobody worked as hard as Michael Jackson. He shaped what was arguably the greatest singing voice of his generation, practically invented a dance style, and meticulously planned every aspect of his shows. He created music that you can feel, and I'm proud to follow in his footsteps as an artist and performer.

What’s your next album going to be like?

I call myself the #Troublemaker in Chief, and the reality is we need more trouble in this world. The systems dictating education, finance, health, relationships, and more are not helping us to maximize ourselves, so it's time to shake them up. I don't believe in speaking at people or about people. I'm speaking with people, and doing it with a sound that is fresh and captures minds. My next album is going to capture the emotions of our times - the pursuit of reaching greatness in the face of the status quo, discovering our voices, fighting back against oppression of all forms, and finding our way in this world. We're going on this ride together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN