Interview: Godz Chyld + DOF + Dunn Deal PR



Bronx, New York emcee G.C. a.k.a. Godz Chyld presents the Focus Framez Media-directed and D’artizt-produced music video for “Words”, the DG Beats-produced single from Things Ain’t What They Seem (listen), his new EP featuring a guest appearance from Snyder Scribez and production from Flash Beats, Tone Jonez, NYC Bangers, D’artizt, Dreamlife and OSYM. Things Ain’t What They Seem comes on the heels of Reborn, his collaboration EP with producer Jordan River Banks, featuring Killah Priest and Loaded Lux (watch the video for “Blue Flame”). He also recently released a video for “That’s It” (watch the video for “That’s It”) as well as his single “Crazy” (watch the video for “Crazy”). Reborn is the followup to their first collaboration Forever (listen on Bandcamp). GC’s last release was Re-Member (listen). When asked about his inspiration behind the video, he said, “For this song the beat was singing “Words” on the hook and it made me really come from a subconscious level with the lyrics. I wanted to explore words, where they come from and some of the hypocrisies in some of the words we use. To me it’s more spiritual so that’s where I let the words for this track come from”.


What’s your beat selection process? Do you have producers you prefer to work with?

I usually just pick out something that gets me excited. It has to make me wanna rap then I go from there. And ofcourse, my favorite producer to work with is Jordan river banks because anytime we work together we bring out a classic project.

If there’s one famous beat this year you would have swiped from the artist who ended up putting it out, which one would it be and why?

Maaan I would’ve loved to rhyme over Kendrick’s DNA beat. I’m sure a lot of people would pick that especially with that switch up at the end it’s perfect for switching up your flow and getting creative that would’ve been fun. He killed it though it couldn’t have fell in better hands. 


How do you know when a song is ready? Is it the same strategy you used with your single, “Words”?

Songs that I put out on this project are made for fun first so it’s about the process of recording it. I didn’t write on any of these songs it was just lettin’ the lyrics come to me so that’s the first part then when I hear it later and if I’m still feelin’ it, I’ll just go with it and drop it. But for more serious projects like “Reborn” or “Forever” I really take my lyrics seriously. It takes longer for songs like those to be ready.

Are you constantly challenging yourself to be more innovative and creative, given that trends and technology are ever evolving? How do you do this?

I challenge myself on the music side. I don’t like for my projects to sound too similar and I try to take exactly where I’m at in my life and translate it over the music. Like at this time I felt like this music game just ain’t what it seems and maybe that’s how people feel in life in general, chasing any dream or career and noticing that it’s things behind the scenes you never knew about. So, I took that feeling and brought it out and I challenge myself by taking those deep emotions and expressing them honestly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN