Interview: 12 Rounz + definition of fresh + dunn deal promotions



 Connecticut rapper and ATM Family lead artist 12 Rounz presents the Eanjay-directed music video for “Messin With This”, his new single produced by Chuck Kennedy. The son of a Guyanese mother and African-American father, 12Rounz uses the number 12 to represent the age he began his rap career, battle-rapping local rappers on the streets of Hartford. Other videos include “Shut Up” (watch) and “Rapido” (watch). 12 Rounz has several full-lengths under his belt including Heavy (iTunes), 2 volumes of The Dutchmaster, Think 12 and Too Big To Fail, all available on  his DatPiff page. 12 Rounz says his new single “came from a place of fun, letting loose, turning up and not caring! It’s a record for you and your day ones, when you do you and have fun, nothing else matters”.

What’s the CT scene like? It’s not an area we hear a lot about in terms of hiphop.

The scene in Connecticut is developing right now. Everybody's hungry. It’s some strong artist like myself coming from the state and it's just a matter of time before we kick down the door, there are artist making noise right now and we’re all collaborating making music to spread from the State. Our job as the young fresh Connecticut voices is to keep it going and keep punching. The music is strong here.

What’s the number one way the game has changed since you got into it?

Nowadays there's a lot more singing, and harmony incorporated into the rap game than back then. Growing up listening to music you knew whether it was rap, pop or R&B, I feel like now as artists we just don't want to be categorized in one label, which is fine because that's what's keeping it interesting. New artists bring new sounds and that can lead to new ideas and different alleys to deliver your music. The game has changed soundwise, but when you have artist like Jay-Z, Jadakiss, Snoop Dogg and Busta Rhymes still around they'll always remind me of where it started.

Have you been to Guyana? How is it? What is the Guyanese reaction to your music?

I have not been to Guyana yet. Most of my family is in Guyana, and we stay in contact a lot; they keep me in tune with who's rocking with the music out there. Guyana embraces the music, anytime I meet a person from the same heritage they are always extremely supportive and respect that I’m in tune with my homeland. That all just motivates me to keep grinding and create vibes they can feel.

What inspires your albums? Do you just record until you have an hour’s worth of good music then put it together? Or are there themes that inspire them?

The music is built off of mood, and feeling. Sometimes the production is that dope where it talks to me and takes me in a direction it was meant to go, where she want me to go. I tie my music into my daily environment; what I'm going through, what I see, and my life experience. There's one tape where the sound doesn't change and that's the "Dutch Master" series. The first edition had a raw sound, but since it has become one of my popular tapes when I drop one. It’s a very smooth sound where you either want to make love or roll up a big spliff and start your night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN