Interview: jimmy valentime + d.o.f. + dunn deal promotions



South Bronx, New York rapper Jimmy ValenTime presents a preview of Better Luck Tomorrow, his sophomore album featuring production from Wiz Khalifa collaborator Willie Green as well as ValenTime’s remake of Nas “Take It In Blood”. Statik Selektah produced “Understand” (watch the video on 2DopeBoyz), Jimmy’s single from his 2011 album Life In Amazin Times (on Spotify). Jimmy appeared on volume 6 of the Get Used To The Future mixtape hosted by French Montana (listen)), G-Unit affiliate Hot Rod appeared on last year’s “Really Got It” single from his Heaven Has A Price mixtape (listen), and Jimmy’s most recent video is “Bad Decision” (watch) which dropped earlier this year. “The album is about all the different women, who have affected me in the last few years,” Jimmy says of his new album. “The preview acts as a way to let people see what they can expect on the album, but there still some great surprise for those who get the full project on iTunes.”

What’s behind the title of your new album?

Better Luck Tomorrow comes from a movie from the early 2000s about this gang of Asian kids that get away with petty crime because nobody suspects them. I always flew under the radar because of my appearance, so that movie spoke to me. And in a broader sense the title’s about trying again. I released an album in 2011 and it didn’t exactly set the world on fire. I felt I need to do another project that better reflected where I am at in my life and not be so much a tribute to my influences.

How did you connect with Willie Green?

I have known Willie since 2010, once I got out-priced out of the Alphabet City studio I was using before that. He got a great ear for music and is a great vocal coach besides his noted skills as an engineer and a producer. I and he co-produced the song “I’m Awesome” on my last album. The beat “The Spectacular Now” was a track I bought from him during the same time period. The original verses from 2011 were a more traditional love song. When I was working on this album I knew I had enough relationship records and I wanted to make something that can showcase my skills as a lyricist. It’s great to see what he been able to accomplish over the last few years and I hope he can help on my future projects, if I can afford him! 


What inspired you to rhyme over “Take It In Blood”?

I wanted to do a tribute to Nas, but now do what’s been done before. A lot of people have rapped over Illmatic beats or incorporated lines or course from that album. I wanted to pick something for the diehards to get excited about. Nas became my favorite rapper with Stillmatic and I worked my way backwards through his catalogue. “Take it in Blood” was so lyrical and so arrogant at the same time. Nas to me is the standard-bearer of a great emcee. Someone who raps like a human camera. Nas’ rap style is not clouded by sentiment or rage. It express what is and doesn’t impose human sentimentality. I wanted to rap about my childhood in a way you can feel the danger I grew up in, but not romanticize it or make it seem fun.

How has response been to the album preview?

People that were aware of me before it’s a bit of a shock to them because it so different from my first album Life In Amazin Times. For a lot of people this is the first time they are meeting me and it’s been a lot of positive energy over certain songs like “Bad Decisions and “Take It In Blood.”

What’s a life motto you try to live by and why?

“I am a dog chasing cars… I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it. I just do things.” Everybody talk about music like it’s fucking soda. Everybody talks about brands and movements. Most of these guys wouldn’t know a real artist if their CD hit them in the face. I’ve been told to do x and y and Z, and I always do what I want, when I want. I’ve been told I shouldn’t be an artist. I make music because it gives me pleasure. At the end of the day I want to be able to do this full time. But this is for me and not about all the gold and glitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN