Interview: ferris wheel jay + d.o.f. + dunn deal promotions



Brooklyn rapper, producer and actor Ferris Wheel Jay presents the music video for “Soho”, the new single from his forthcoming EP House Of Hearts. “Soho” was directed by Om Ayinde and Kevin Nunez of Bravo Media, and the track is produced by Jay’s production team Trakformaz, the production trio which features Jay himself alongside Kev Keyz as well as BURN’EMUP, who was part of Dangerous LLC, the team behind 50 Cent’s “Disco Inferno” and “Window Shopper” as well as Christina Aguilera/Missy Elliott”s “Car Wash” song for the movie Shark Tale. At the age of eleven Jay was writing songs and hooks; by thirteen he was making beats and producing full songs. He has television credits on MTV, FOX 5 News; Ridiculousness and Silent Library and has performed at Nuyorican Poets Cafe, SOB’s, Santos Party House, the Flat, and is also a winner of America’s Next Top Music producer showcase..House Of Hearts will be released through a team effort between Trakformaz, Bravo Media, and Joe “JP” Matias, who collaborated on records by Mos Def and Jermaine Dupri. “Working in Soho showed me all the ins and outs of such a beautiful area,” says Jay. “The people, the art, the diversity; almost makes you feel like you’re not in NYC. This inspired me to do a song about all of this. You can walk down a back block and bump right into a famous actor or music artist and get the same exact chill vibe as the area that you’re in.” Regarding the EP, Om Ayinde says “When forces ‪unite to create for the love of creating art you make something money can’t buy. ‘Soho’ is just the doorway into the House Of Hearts.‎”


Your production team Trakformaz produced “Off The Rip” featuring the late Chinx Drugz. What are your thoughts on his passing?

Chinx passing was hard for everyone. He was a humbled blessed soul who showed love to everyone. Not one person could say anything bad about him. He would call one of my production partners Kev Keyz and tell him he needs that heat. He gave us our first shot, our first real placement. He believed in us when a lot of others didn’t. Rest that young king’s soul.

How are you feeling about the vibe in NYC this year as far as rap is concerned?

NYC is still the home of the ego. Everyone is too good to show the next man/woman love and respect. I give it where it’s due. When I went to LA nobody believed me that I was from NYC because I didn’t have that cocky persona. We need to all get together and show the world where the birthplace of hip/hop is and that starts with showing each other love. I love my city. Sadly it doesn’t really show it back.

You have a solid team. How did it come together?

Well one of my team members Burn’emup is my uncle so that’s a given. My other team member is Kev Keyz. He is French Montana's keyboard player when they go out on tour. We met at a rehearsal and vibed out from there. We each bring something different to the table. We collaborated on a few tracks together and then decided why not make a team! The Trakformaz were created. 


You have an easy-going, smooth rap style. Who would you say is a big influence on that?

A big influence on my rap style is the music I listen to. I don’t really listen to rap. I’m big on Coldplay, Maroon 5, John Legend. Rap-wise my idols are Kanye West and Jay Z. I like to add a fun twist and add some comedy when I do my songs. That’s what makes my style what it is.

What’s one thing we wouldn’t expect about Ferris Wheel Jay?

I’m a fun, outgoing, spontaneous, hilarious person. I’m myself whether you see me in person or on TV. So one thing you really wouldn’t expect is that I was in military school from 6th grade to the 12th grade. No I wasn’t a bad kid lol, but my zone schools weren’t good at all. I’m also from East New York, Brooklyn, another area that people would have never guessed that I was from. Don’t let the part in my hair fool you LOL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN