Interview: e reece + d.o.f. + dunn deal promotions



Maryland-bred, Los Angeles-based emcee E Reece presents the Jason Frerking-directed music video for “Success (Keep On Rising)”, the new Stro Elliot-produced single featuring Los Angeles singer Jimetta Rose, whose forthcoming album The Light Bearer is executive produced by Georgia Anne Muldrow. Reece has collaborated with Mayer Hawthorne, Oddisee, DJ Rhettmatic and Kev Brown, and has opened for Pete Rock and CL Smooth and Talib Kweli. His music has appeared in 2K Sports’ College Basketball ’08, Oxygen’s Bad Girls Club, E!’s Keeping Up With The Kardashians, and MTV’s The Real World. Also an actor and model, he’s worked the runway for Alvin King in DC and NYC, Travis Winkey in Baltimore, and was featured in Floetry’s “Say Yes” music video, as well as Adrian Younge’s video for “Stop and Look”. “Mainstream media feeds us its own definition of success,” Reece says. “Money, fame, sex… the list goes on. In my new music video, I take over the airwaves to share my personal road to success that highlights hard work, motivation, and self appreciation as the keys to a truly successful life. I play a father as I prepare for my own daily grind, while my son (my actual real life son Jayden) soaks in the message that being true to yourself and your calling holds the greatest reward.”


 Biggie or Tupac? Why?

Just from a music standpoint I'd say Biggie. I like his music more. But I liked Tupac's fire and revolutionary nature. He spoke up for blacks in America and always told the truth in that regard. He was a lot more socially aware and spoke pretty intelligently about the plight of African-Americans. I didn't always agree with how he acted and knew he was just trying to sell records when it came to the things he did and said with his problems with Biggie. The media really blew that situation out of proportion, but that's another story. I like Biggie's flow and beat choices more than Pac's, but I give it up to Pac as being an underrated lyricist, song writer and poet.

Do you welcome the ‘conscious rapper’ tag or reject it? Why?

Aren't we all conscious rappers in that we're all alive right ha ha?! Nah I don't like that title. I just make good music that a majority of people can relate to or appreciate. I choose to talk about things relevant to my life and experiences and keep things positive. Most people appreciate that. People who talk about negativity in their music usually end up having something bad happen to them. When the ego is involved and people talk that gun talk, nine times out of 10, something negative will happen to them. I believe in karma and believe that if you talk about positive things, that you'll bring them into existence. If you have to label my music, just label it as good or I prefer "organic hip hop" that feeds you that good stuff without all the additives and preservatives. It’s just good for you!

How has fatherhood changed your music?

I'm always conscious about the things I rap about and the images I choose to put out because one day my son will be old enough to understand what's going on around him and I'd hate for him to have to deal with any repercussions from anything I might have done or said. I want him to be proud of my music and the material I release. I've always been positive in my music and preserved the essence of the culture and I guess it’s been more of a conscious thought now that I have a son. I want to project a positive image to not only him, but to everyone, especially young black men in America. They need to know that being respectful and having good morals doesn't make you weak, but that it makes you an outstanding citizen and that's something to be proud of. 


As an East coast transplant to the West coast, what do you think are the main differences between the people from each coast?

I'm from Maryland and people are generally friendly and easy going and tell it like it is. You have a completely different scene out here obviously, with Hollywood and the pressures that come with that. There are a lot of artists, actors, models, etc. out here and sometimes the industry can force people to become something that they're not. There's a lot of pressure out here to become successful and that can sometimes cause people to do certain things they might not otherwise do. The west coast is very laid back and there are a lot of people concerned about how they look and their health. There are a lot of people into living a healthy lifestyle and take advantage of all of the hiking trails and beaches and watch what they eat, maybe a little more so than on the east coast. There aren't too many people concerned with being gluten free on the east lol! I'm from Maryland and moved here from NYC and the differences are night and day. LA is very spread out and disconnected, while NYC is packed with people and the energy is a lot more vibrant because of it. You can bump into people more frequently with the use of trains and such, while here in LA, you can see someone at a party and not see them again for months ha ha! There's just a differently way of life and energy level out here.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I tend to live in the moment, but if I'd have to say, I'll still be making music because that will always be a creative outlet for me. I've been getting more involved behind the scenes in artist management these days so I can see myself becoming an music executive/manager working behind the scenes to consult with and help forward the careers of other artists I believe in. Using all of the things I've learned in the industry to help others become successful. And who knows, maybe I'll come out of retirement and pick up my saxophone again and relearn how to play and take lessons and start playing in bands again. Time will tell!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN