DJ Butter + Dunn Deal Promotions + DOF Interview



Detroit deejay/producers Dez and Butter present the Dr. Zodiak-directed music video for “Heavy Hittaz”, featuring Kurupt & Boldy James. “Heavy Hittaz” is the new single from A Piece Of The Action, Dez & Butter’s new album out now featuring Kool G. Rap, Elzhi, Pacewon, Guilty Simpson, Phat Kat, Kokane, Fuzz Scoota, BO$$ and Big Rube. The “Heavy Hittaz” video follows the previous clip for “Legends In The Game” featuring Hell Rell and Wesley Valentine (watch). “Kurupt is one of the most humblest veterans I ever met,” says Butter. “He sent the verse back, I let Boldy hear it and it was on. I’ve been knowing Boldy for years, so it was automatic. Kurupt told me he would be in Detroit, so we all met up in downtown Detroit to shoot the video. We got kicked out of the hotel where we were shooting the video, but finished shooting at Saint Andrew’s Hall. The Homies Trick Trick and MC Lee from Detroit’s Most Wanted showed up.” Butter has also confirmed a full-length collaboration between him and Boldy. “Boldy James and I recorded six bangers. I laid some cold beats down for him with cuts and scratches and the works. DJ Dez produced a track with Kokane for the West Coast with Boldy as well. The project will be ready top of the year.”


What was it like being in the studio with Kurupt for the “Heavy Hittaz” single?

Kurupt sent the music through an email.  When he came to Detroit, it was super smooth.  I got him some Pizza Papalis from downtown Detroit, he smashed it and we knocked out the video with Boldy and Trick Trick and the homies.  

You’ve worked with a lot of “heavy hittaz” during your career. Which do you think was the highest honor and can you describe the experience?

Royce Da 5'9. We’re from the same hood as well.  I know his dad and brothers. I'm proud of what he's overcome and he’s becoming a great businessman.  Watching him work with Primo, that’s on every emcee’s bucket list. He's accomplishing major goals.  Shout out to WallStreet a.k.a D-Elite as well.

How did you and DJ Dez come together?

I saw Dez at Mumford High School first in 1992.  After that I would see him at the hip-hop circuits around Detroit.  When he connected with P. Gruv (one Of J Dilla's mentors) it was a wrap, because P. Gruv and I are from the same hood (Highland Park). His studio was one of the first I recorded at.


How has the response been to your new album A Piece Of The Action?

It's been overwhelming.  It's crazy for the people you grew up listening to respecting your music. That's the best feeling in the world. DJ Premier has been playing our tracks on his show as well. People have trippin over the packaging. Cassettes and Vinyl are on the way. We have four videos ready to blast off now. It was a dream come true, working with people like Kool G. Rap, Kokane and having Phat Kat and Elzhi on a track together. This is some bucket list-type shit.  

What’s your favorite song on the album and why?

"Special Thanks to the Struggle".  Rhyming with DJ Dez a.k.a. Sylvio Vega was dope. That's my mom on the hook as well.  R.I.P. Momma. Just to record a verse with Dez and I rhyming on it just was pure dope. It was cool to have him tell me to go back in the lab and fix certain parts on my rhyme, and vice-versa.  When Grandmaster Dee (Whodini's DJ) came from behind the turntable on "Funky Beat" to bust in verse, that was fresh to me.  Thats the vision I had when Dez and I recorded that joint.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News: BRIA MYLES BARES IT ALL FOR MELO KĀN IN CONTROVERSIAL "ROYAL" CAMPAIGN